TOBY'S SLASH BURGERS
After a visit to Golden Castle in Austin, (give it a try...highly recommend) Toby was inspired by their slider and from that came his SLASH BURGER -- combining this gooey, delicious slider and the crusty, caramelized smash burger -- it couldn't be easier to make our mash up of the two.
Here's the recipe:
TOBY'S SLASH BURGERS makes 10-12
1 King's Hawaiian Sweet Rolls (12 count)
10-12 slices American Cheese
1 Large Onion
Light up your Thaan charcoal, dump into grill and place a griddle plate over grill rack - if you don't have a griddle use a large cast iron pan.
1. Dice onion and set aside.
2. Lay down wax paper onto flat surface and spread ground beef onto wax paper as evenly as possible. Place another sheet of wax paper over beef and roll out into a rectangular shape. Try and roll to about 1/2 inch in thickness. Remove top wax paper and season generously with salt and pepper. Set aside.
3. When the griddle is nice and hot, add vegetable oil. Add onions to griddle and sauté until softened and slightly caramelized. Season with salt and pepper. Remove cooked onions and set aside.
4. Carefully take your rolled out ground beef and place onto the hot griddle. Take a cast iron skillet and smash your beef. Cook until you see the golden browning on the edges of the beef. DO NOT FLIP.
5. Cut beef into three strips. Take your cooked onions and spread on top of each strip in an even layer. Top with American cheese slices (use as much cheese as you like!)
6. Cover grill and melt the cheese. While the cheese is melting take your buns and separate into three strips. Remove the top buns but keep them intact. Place the bottom buns onto a large platter or sheet pan.
7. Remove cover and place the top buns onto the strips. Replace cover and steam burgers for just a few more seconds.
8. Remove cover and carefully plate the strips onto the bottom buns. Serve slash burgers immediately -- your guests can just pull the strips apart and enjoy the gooey burgers. Best with an ice cold beverage.